Wednesday, March 23, 2016

How Essential Oils Effects Body Systems

Think of your body as an intricate machine. It is composed of several large systems that each has their own smaller, more detailed structure. Each system must operate on its own and with other systems in order for the machine to function. Like the machine, our body is divided into multiple systems and each one contains individual organs. Each body system, each organ, each layer of tissue, and each cell must function on its own as well as with the other systems of the body. It only takes one faulty or worn-out body system to effectively “break” the entire machine. Just like it is a mechanic’s job to figure out why the machine is not operating, it is our job to be educated about our bodies so that we can support our body systems when symptoms arise.

The current way of thinking about health and disease is incredibly narrow. Our motivation for seeking out a physician is to just “feel better” or “get rid of the symptoms”. In other words, we acknowledge we are feeling bad, identify symptoms, seek remedies (usually in the form of over-the-counter or prescription drugs), and continue on with our daily routines. The problem is, all we did was manage symptoms and ignored the underlying cause and our body’s needs. This is called the ambulance approach to healthcare.

The Essential Life, 2015
The holistic approach to wellness promotes living with a prevention mindset and addressing root causes when symptoms arise by providing support to the entire body system (Total Wellness Publishing, 2015). With this approach, symptoms arise, you identify symptoms and consider which body system they are coming from, research conditions within that system that best relate to what you are experiencing, and seek remedies by learning which oil supports and strengthens that system. You are addressing the root causes and giving your body what it needs in order to heal and prevent future symptoms verses managing those symptoms, which will likely come back in the future. The outcome of the holistic approach is that you have gained knowledge and an understanding of body systems and how they function. This is a lifestyle approach and you are also considering habits that contribute to the symptoms such as diet, sleep, exercise, stress, etc.

Let’s use an example. I go to the doctor for a routine check-up and my blood panel results state that I have high LDL (bad) cholesterol. I am going to assume that my doctor will ask me about my lifestyle habits, such as diet, exercise, sleep, stress, etc. He/she will also ask if I have a family history of high cholesterol and what medications I am taking. I tell them, no, I do not have a family history or take medications, I exercise on most days, sleep 7-8 hours a night, and I have a good diet. Hmmmm, why do I still have high cholesterol? At this point, depending on my age, the doctor will likely want to put me on a cholesterol medication. This is the ambulance approach.

Using the holistic approach, I would research which body system controls cholesterol levels, which is the cardiovascular system. How does my body synthesize cholesterol? What does my body need in order to manage blood lipid (fat) levels? After some research, I learn that cholesterol is needed in order to create cell membranes, hormones, vitamin D, and bile acids that help break down fat in my diet. A study that was featured in an article on Dr. Mercola's website stated that vitamin D and calcium supplements improve lipid profiles. The name of the article is The Importance of Vitamin D for Normalizing Your Cholesterol Levels. This is not a surprise since vitamin D is the #1 and #2 vitamin and mineral deficiency in women and men, respectively. Here is another link, heart disease is the #1 killer of women in the United States, and high cholesterol is the leading health concern that contributes to heart disease.

After all my research, I now have the tools in order to start normalizing my cholesterol level WITHOUT drugs. The biggest reason I want to do this the natural way is because it is more sustainable over my lifetime and like most drugs, there are side effects. My plan consists of getting at least 20 minutes of sun exposure per day (even on cloudy days), taking a calcium supplement (food based, of course), and incorporating essential oils that help the cardiovascular system. The best part about adding essential oils to my regime is that their complex chemistry supports other systems and organs simultaneously. I may be using them to support my cardiovascular system, in this case, but they could also be supporting my digestive system, lymphatic system, and so on.

Essential oils have needless applications. I use them to treat and prevent aliments, make cleaning and beauty supplies, and I even cook with them. Over the next few weeks I will explore how essential oils suport different body systems. Stay tuned!

Links:
Buy essential oils here

2 comments:

  1. Love this. It's so intriguing to me that essential oils truly support the body in doing what it already plans to do, where medication, synthetically produced, direct action opposite of what the body was/is doing. To hear that essential oils are just a trend is bothersome as they've really just recently surfaced beyond the false marketing and advertisements that have plagued their way into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. And I agree! It is disappointing that essential oils have been labeled a health fad by people that are unfamiliar or threatened by the science. Essential oils have been used for thousands of years. I believe that their growing popularity is a natural evolution of healthcare and should be a sign to the US FDA that consumers expect and demand more of the government's health care system and pharmaceutical industry. Spread the word, essential oils rock!

    ReplyDelete

x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner